Question/comment on nbdkit support in libvirt.spec

In this section (under %package libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu):

        %if %{with_nbdkit}
  Recommends: nbdkit
  Recommends: nbdkit-curl-plugin
  Recommends: nbdkit-ssh-plugin
        %endif

You could save a bit of space by removing "Recommends: nbdkit" and
replacing it with:

  Recommends: nbdkit-server
  Recommends: nbdkit-readahead-filter

In Fedora packaging "nbdkit" is a meta-package which pulls in
nbdkit-server, nbdkit-basic-plugins and nbdkit-basic-filters.  This
meta-package is intended to get a useful, functional nbdkit, but it's
not very minimal.  The basic plugins/filters pull in about an extra
1.3MB.

nbdkit-basic-{plugins,filters} also "Provides" the names of the
individual plugins and filters, so if (for example) you wanted the
file plugin then you could just "Recommends: nbdkit-file-plugin" which
would pull in nbdkit-basic-plugins (or something else if we ever moved
that plugin to another package).

nbdkit-curl-plugin / nbdkit-ssh-plugin are packaged separately because
they have non-trivial dependencies on external libraries, and using
Recommends for those is absolutely correct.  They depend on
nbdkit-server so it's not strictly needed to also "Recommends:
nbdkit-server", but it is better for clarity.

nbdkit-server includes nbdkit-null-plugin so you can still use that
for probing filters.

(I asked another question on a Jira ticket about if you are using
--readonly since that improves performance with nbdkit-curl-plugin.
Checking the source code I see you are, so that's great.)

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v