Re: [libvirt] iface-list command in virsh

As the iface-list command doesn't work, I'm trying to get physical interface of a host via nodedev-list, but it doesn't give me bridges, like br0 for example (which exists anyway). How can I retrieve available bridges of a host ?

From: Dev.Atom
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: [libvirt] iface-list command in virsh

Is there a way to give root privileges to the process via setcap ?

Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:38 PM

On 04/19/2010 04:06 PM, Dev.Atom wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to list physical interface of a remote tcp host via the C API and it fails. I have tried to use virsh iface-list in remote TCP connection and it fails also. I have trying on the libvirt host with my normal account and it fails also, but when I connect under root account on the libvirt host, iface-list works. Any clue ?

When you run virsh locally as non-root, it connects to qemu://session, which doesn't have root privileges, and the iface-* commands won't work (because netcf requires root to run). If you run virsh as root, you will be connected to qemu://system, which has root, and iface-* will work.

The failure to work when connecting to a remote libvirtd is puzzling, though.