Re: [libvirt] [RFC] events scripts support

libvir-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/23/2010 08:12:57 AM:

> Please respond to "Daniel P. Berrange"

> > This is a new kind of API in libvirt(d) so I'm submitting this for
> > review. There could be some challenging issues, for example naming
> > i.e. is the object "external" name like 'foo' the right thing to pass
> > or should we also provide the uuid, making sure the arguments for the
> > scripts and the behaviour is generic enough, and also how to handle
> > potential recursion and avoid deadlock if the events script happen to
> > use libvirt.
>
> You have to mandate that synchronous hooks never call back into libvirt,
> allowing them todo so will be unfeasible.

Right. Since libvirt maintains all information about a VM the 'temptation' may be there to 'need' to pull information about the VM from within that script. I guess deadlocks would be typical.

   Stefan

http://people.redhat.com/berrange/:|
http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org:|
http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/:|