Re: RFC: revert to external snapshot API

[...]

> > One thing you've missed though is that deletion of snapshots now becomes
> > quite a challenge.
> >

> Yeah I did not consider implementing deleting at that moment. However to
> make
> external snapshots usable it should be implemented as well.

Yeah, both need to be implemented at the same time.

> Anyway is anybody in Red Hat working on this (considering you and Pavel
> discussed
> the topic recently)? If not I would like to proceed with implementation.

We definitely plan to work on it, but I can't give you any time
estimates yet.

More importantly, since you are interested into this as well, it would
be great if you could elaborate on how you want to use this if it's
ready especially any special scenarios.

For us the basic goal is to achieve feature parity between internal and
external snapshots so that they can be used interchangably and
eventually prefering external snapshots as the way forward.

Basically this is what we want to do too. On top of that we want to support
asynchronous snapshot/revert to snapshot based on work in progress in QEMU
being done by Virtuozzo [1]. We have no any patches for libvirt yet.

Do you mind if we proceed with implementation? I guess I can start more
or less right now.

Nikolay

[1] Background Snapshots in QEMU: Towards Asynchronous Revert