Re: [libvirt] Cannot enumerate physical devices with libvirt 0.7.6

On 02/16/2010 05:11 PM, Frédéric Grelot wrote:
Hi Dave and all

have four on my test system, which I just installed.  How did you
install the box, install F12, then what?  Just to rule this out, did
you rebuild the RPM?

I first built it from source (0.7.6), but, when the package was released in rawvirt (repo enabled in my system), I uninstalled my version ("make uninstall" in the directory where I installed it from), then installed that of rawvirt...
When I started having these problems, I uninstalled / reinstalled again, but it didn't change anything.

Well... you solved my problem anyway : to sort this out, I tried that again. Thus I noticed that after having uninstalled everything (yum remove + make uninstall), the "libvirtd" command still "worked" (with errors). I checked... and there was a /sbin/libvirtd, left by I-don-t-know-which install! . It was one of those last, undoubtly, since "libvirtd --version"  actually returned 0.7.6... (And, of course, in the default PATH, /sbin stands before /usr/bin/...)
I removed (=backuped just in case...) it, installed with yum, and it works at last!

Thanks for your help, you got me to the right path... And sorry for the inconvenient of a "custom" install...

Glad it's working for you now.

However, I don't explain why this libvirtd was left there... Were the paths changed lately?

It's possible to leave files installed if you install to one prefix and then install to a second location without uninstalling the first. If you re-execute configure the location of any existing installation is lost.

Dave

Frederic