Re: Libvirt Open Source Contribution

Hey folks,

We have started work on issue 11, and we have some questions to ensure we tackle the issue properly.

We appreciate the correspondence, and we hope to use this information to make a good contribution to the project!

Best regards,

Dustan Helm

Barrett Schonefeld

Ryan Gahagan

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:35 AM Michal Privoznik <mprivozn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/15/20 10:39 PM, Barrett J Schonefeld wrote:
> Hey libvirt team,
>

> We (Ryan Gahagan, Dustan Helm, and Barrett Schonefeld) are computer
> science students at the University of Texas at Austin. We are taking a
> course in virtualization, and we’d like to contribute to the libvirt
> repository as part of this course. Here are the issues we are most
> interested in:
>

> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/11
> <https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/11>
>
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/16
>

> Additionally, we would like to take a look at issue 4
> (https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/4
> <https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/4>), the UDP slowdown for
> QEMU. We expect issue 4 to be more time-intensive, and we would like to
> communicate with you to ensure we’re solving the problem effectively.
>

> Our course only runs until the end of the fall semester, so our time to
> contribute to this project is somewhat limited. If you think any of the
> issues we picked would be too difficult to accomplish during that time
> frame, we would appreciate alternative suggestions. We really hope to
> contribute to this project and help make improvements where we can.

Hey,

it's always nice to see people interested in libvirt.

Another area that I can offer (not listed on the issues page) is writing
virsh completers. These are callback functions which are run when a user
hits <TAB><TAB>, for instance:

   virsh start --domain<TAB><TAB>

brings up a list of shut off guests. It's really regular autocompletion
like we're used to from bash and/or other projects.

I'd say writing a completer is more beneficial if one wants to learn how
to use libvirt public APIs because that's basically what a completer
callback does. I've reviewed some completer patches recently:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2020-September/msg00592.html

I'm happy to help,

Michal