Re: qemu modularization of qemu-5.1 vs libvirt domcapabilities cache?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM Christian Ehrhardt <christian.ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:43 PM Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The simplest approach is to touch the qemu binaries. We discussed this
> already. It has the drawback that it makes "rpm -V" complain about
> wrong timestamps. It might also confuse backup software. Still, it
> might be a viable short-term workaround if nothing else is available.

Qemu already allows to save modules in /var/run/qemu/ [1] to better handle
module upgrades which is already used in Debian and Ubuntu to avoid
late module load errors after upgrades.

This was meant for upgrades, but if libvirt would define a known path in
there like /var/run/qemu/last_packaging_change the packages could easily
touch it on any install/remove/update as Daniel suggested and libvirt could
check this path like it does with the date of the qemu binary already.

[1]: https://github.com/qemu/qemu/commit/bd83c861c0628a64997b7bd95c3bcc2e916baf2e

Earlier in this thread - I think one or two of us had asked about the timestamp on the directory that contains the modules.

I'm wondering if a "last_packaging_change" provides any value over and above the timestamp of the directory itself? Wouldn't the directory be best - as it would work automatically for both distro packaging as well as custom installs?

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke@xxxxxxxxx>