Re: Release of libvirt-5.8.0

On 10/7/19 6:11 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Sun, Oct 06, 2019 at 03:22:12PM -0300, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:

On 10/5/19 5:15 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
    So it's out, a bit late but better than never, without release notes
but after all everything is described in the commits, so here is a very
raw 5.8.0 release, it's tagged in git and signed sources and tarball
are available at the usual place:

    https://libvirt.org/sources/

I also made python binding release that you can find at:

    https://libvirt.org/sources/python

   So the only thing listed in the release notes is

Removed features:

- Remove xenapi driver
    The xenapi driver is removed since it has not received any significant
    development since its initial contribution nine years ago and has no
    known user base.

Glancing at the commit list, there is a lot of refactoring going on
which I assume don't have any visible user impact.
I would suggest users look at the new development strategy document,
    https://libvirt.org/strategy.html

TBH since I started the project 14 or so years ago the core assumption
have been kept, but this indicates willingness to change some of the
directions by the current group of developers, one of the key point is
articulated there:

   "There is thus a desire to make use of either Rust or Go, or a
combination of both, to incrementally replace existing use of C,
and also for greenfield development."
Is there any finer grained plan to this transition other than what is
already
mentioned in the strategy page? The text makes me believe that the use
of Rust/Go will be decided in a case by case scenario, as if it's something
that is going to be considered for newer features from now on, but
it's not like we're in a deadline to fully transition the code either - more
like a long term direction. Is that a fair understanding?
The text is intentionally fuzzy in what it describes, because our plans
will adapt as we learn more. Simpy consider it a heads up that you will
likely need to have a Rust/Go toolchain in future for building parts of
libvirt.

Got it. Do we have plans for a more detailed roadmap in the future? I'd
like to get involved with the transition to Rust and it would be good to
gauge where can I be useful.

Thanks,

DHB

Regards,