Re: [RFC] Adopting 'Tested-by' tag (and probably other tags)?

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:27:00 +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 04/26/2017 09:55 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I was wondering if the upstream would be receptive to adding a
> > 'Tested-by' tag for patches that had someone give tested feedback on the
> > list.
>
> If we are doing this, I suggest having 'Reviewed-by' too. It's merely
> the same effort (if not a greater one).

Definitely greater. We don't get that much testing of patches upstream.

> > I realize that if it's not automated (via Git hooks or similar), it can
> > become "lossy", i.e. if Joe posts v1 of a patch, you give a 'Tested-by',
> > then there are two scenarios that immediately spring to mind:
> >
> >   (1) Joe respins a v2 to make some corrections, adds your 'Tested-by'
> >       tag, and whoever applies the patch picks it up -- all good.
> >
> >   (b) However, if a v2 was _not_ necessary, then whoever is applying the
> >       patch / series must remember to add the tag -- "lossy".
> >
> > Thoughts / remarks / rotten tomatoes welcome.
> >

> I think this is the clue for having this. If we can somehow make it easy
> for contributors to append appropriate lines to the commit messages of
> theirs then this has a chance to live. Otherwise, if I have to manually
> copy-paste (or even worse write all the lines out manually), then the

I totally agree. If it's somehow automatable in a reasonable fashion to
apply the tags from e-mail to git then I might consider it.

> chances as slim. Take a look at SoB line: it's very easy to configure
> and everybody uses it now.

I beg to differ.

> I like the idea and I'm up for it, but frankly I have no idea how
> developers in other teams do it.

Unless there's reasonable automation, which I don't think will be easy I
will tend to not put those in. I'm lazy.