Re: RFC: Limited dynamic ownership

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 06:17:44PM -0400, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 05:54:29PM -0400, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 05:06:20PM -0400, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > so there was an idea about limiting the relabelling of images that
> > > libvirt does.  And I'm taking the liberty of pitching my idea how to
> > > approach this.  I feel like it's pretty simple thing and there's not
> > > much to talk about, but a) I could've missed something and b) you might
> > > hate the way I approach it.
> > >
> > > The idea is to extend the seclabel XML, for example:
> > >
> > >  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='whitelist'>
> > >    <path>/var/lib/libvirt/images</path>
> > >    <path>/data/virt-stuff</path>
> > >  </seclabel>
> > >
> > > Either we allow 'relabel' to be set to 'whitelist' or add a new
> > > attribute with a name like 'mode' or something, which will control how
> > > we relabel the files (actually relabel='no' can mean 'whitelist' and
> > > relabel='yes' can mean blacklist without adding anything there).  After
> > > that you can specify what paths are (dis)allowed to be labelled.
> > >
> > > Actually thinking about it I like the following the most:
> > >
> > >  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='no'>
> > >    <whitelist path='/data'/>
> > >    <blacklist path='/data/private/non-virt/stuff'/>
> > >  </seclabel>
> > >
> > > which I believe is pretty explanatory.  Feel free to ask if it's not.
> > > And let me know what you think.
> >
> > I don't think we need to get involved in the <seclabel> configuration.
> >

> I forgot to mention that I like that because you would be able to
> specify this per-disk as well as for the whole VM.

Of course using info in <disk> directly achieves the same thing

> > We've already got the ability in the <disk> config to provide the
> > full backing chain explicitly. If a management app provides a full
> > backing chain in the XML, we could validate the app provided chain
> > against the chain we probe and report error if they mis-match. (Maybe
> > we in fact already report this?)
> >

> Not yet:
>
>  "It is currently ignored on input and only used for output to describe
>   the detected backing chains of running domains."
>
> It would help with this, but I don't feel like it's that usable.  Also
> I feel like everyone will overuse that while misunderstanding what it
> actually does.  Also if you do some block-merge or whatever, you need to
> update the backing chain and everyone will just re-probe it because no
> management layer likes keeping more information than needed.

If you provide the <seclabel> whitelist though, you're essentially
going to want to provide the same info that you would provide with
the <backing> data, as the whitelist you're providing there is
essentially trying to whitelist only the expected backing file.

I don't feel like we should be inventing new seclabel elements to
duplicate info we could already provide via existing backing data
elements.

> > Thinking bout this in the context of a recent OpenStack Nova CVE,
> > where Nova mistakenly set format=qcow2, instead of format=raw, allowing
> > a malicious guest to write a qcow2 header with backing file. If Nova
> > had provided the full backing chain it expected (no backing chain at
> > all), then libvirt would have seen the maliciously created backing
> > chain, and caught the problem despite Nova giving the wrong format.
> >

> > Separately from this, in the context of storage pools, when giving
> > a <disk type=pool> in the domain XML, we could do validation to
> > ensure the backing file of the volume always pointed to a volume
> > that was also inside a storage pool. This would allow us to have
> > backing files pointing to volumes in different storage pools, but
> > would prevent them pointing to arbitrary files that were not in
> > storage pools at all (eg /etc/password, or /dev/root, etc).
> >

> That is good idea, but it won't cover all the cases, for example if
> you're not using storage pools.

Yep, at least from OpenStack POV our goal is to switch 100% to using
storage pools.

For non-storage pool deployments though, I think it is common that
the mgmt app will have a specific place where it will always put
disks. eg on OpenStack file based disks will always live under
/var/lib/nova/instances.

So if there was a qemu.conf setting to whitelist allowed disk image
locations, we could lock down where we permit relabelling for the
openstack host as a whole, and not need to change anything on a per
guest basis.

> It could be nice to get feedback from upper mgmt layers, any idea where
> else to post this questions?

ovirt might have feedback i guess

Regards,
Daniel