Re: VirtualBox 5 support

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:51:11PM +0200, Martin Pietsch wrote:
Dear libvirt-developer-team,

I want to manage virtual machine of VirtualBox with libvirt. In a test
I found out, that VirtualBox 5 is not support by the current version of
libvirt. For this reason I have added this support in the source code.
Now I want to commit these changes to the libvirt project, but I do not
know, if there are any interests. Who can help me?
We are always interested to receive patches from willing contributors,
especially for drivers like VirtualBox which do not have a large active
set of people contributing.

For first-time contributors to libvirt the best place to start is reading
the "hacking" guidelines:

    http://libvirt.org/hacking.html

My specific top points for new contributors people are

  - Always make patches against latest git master

  - Create a series of patches (commits), each patch focusing on solving
    a specific self-contained problem, rather than 1 single huge patch.

  - Ensure 'make syntax-check' passes after applying each patch

"and make check" :-). An easy way to perform these two checks for every commit on a branch is this:

    git rebase -i master -x "make -j8 syntax-check && make -j8 check"

If there is an error at any step, make and git will stop and allow you to fix the problem, add the modifications to the commit, and continue (with "git rebase --continue"). If there are no errors, the two make commands will be run on every commit on the branch without requiring user intervention.

  - Use 'git send-email' to send series of well formatted emails with
    each patch  (if you've not used it before, play with it by telling
    it to send the maill to yourself first :-)