Re: [libvirt] Upcoming 0.6.2 release

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Our release schedule has become a little too variable in timeframe and
quality in recent times. We've tended to get into a situation where we've
had some very large new features going in very late before release with
little time for actually testing them between commit & release. It is
unrealistic to expect pre-commit reviews to catch all problems, so I
think it might be worth us setting out a very slightly more formal rule
for commit/release schedule.

I'd like to suggest:

 - Monthly releases aiming for 1st of the month (plus/minus 3 days to
  take into account weekends/holidays)

 - Any non-trivial new feature for release must be reviewed, approved
  and committed at least 1 week before the release.  eg by 24th of
  each month

This will give people using libvirt CVS some time to sanity check new
features aren't causing serious regressions / crashes before we release.
<<snip>>

Daniel

+1 on release schedule.

This still gives the project speed and flexibility, while reducing the risks of new features or big changes breaking the release.

Just my $0.03.  (US Inflation, y'know)

-Richard Balint