Re: Ability to add arbitrary data to snapshots

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 02:55:30PM +0300, Alexander Burluka wrote:
For example, we want to store suspended state of VM.
I'm aware that some other careless application dealing with libvirt
may erase metadata section and info about additional snapshot data will be
lost.
What do you mean by suspended state of the VM ? Are you referring to
the VM memory & device state ? If so, I think that something that
should be explicitly represented in the API, not a opaque blob.
We distinguish paused and suspended to disk domain states. For suspend to disk we are using virDomainSaveFlags API call and stop domain. This API call stores VM memory and device states to some file. If user then calls virDomainSnapshotCreateXML, the resulted snapshot lacks VM memory and device states because it looks like domain is stopped and it is not aware about state file. Thus, switch to this snapshot does not work as expected. We need to store this file somewhere, so what API change could be done here? Or maybe we can emulate suspend to disk in other way? Please advice.

Thank you!

Regards,
Daniel

--