Re: [libvirt-users] LVM Volume Creation

Hi All,

I'm having issue with creating LVM Volume via libvirt.

We are running libvirtd 1.2 with KVM.

We are creating Volume Group (VG01) outside of libvirt and defining a storage pool for it.
Here is the StoragePool XML for the Volume Group created outside libvirt.
<pool type="logical">
    <name>VG01</name>
    <target>
        <path>/dev/VG01</path>
    </target>
</pool>

We are creating Logical Volume (ub_test01.img) through libvirt in the Volume Group (VG01)
Here is the XML to create Storage Volume in LVM Storage Pool VG01.
<volume type="block">
    <name>ub_test01.img</name>
    <allocation>0</allocation>
    <capacity unit="M">1</capacity>
    <target>
        <format type="lvm2" />
    </target>
</volume>

When I create the Logical Volume from libvirt using above XML and run lvs command to list logical volumes, this is what I see.

LV		VG	Attr	LSize	Origin			Snap%	Move	Log	Copy%	Convert
--------------- ------- ------- ------- ----------------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
foo		VG01	-wi-a-	  1.00g
ub_test01.img	VG01	swi-a-	  4.00m	[ub_test01.img_vorigin]	0.20
root		ops-02	-wi-ao	227.08g
swap_1		ops-02	-wi-ao	  5.75g

As you see, ub_test01.img shows that it has an Origin indicating that it was created as a snapshot, but, that Origin doesn't exist and wasn't specified.

I'd appreciate if you anyone can help me understand what is going on and/or describe how to make libvirt create logical volumes not as a snapshot.

I'm happy to enable debugging to see what command libvirt is running to create the volume if someone case describe how to enable debugging.

Regards,
Ravi
Message sent via Atmail Open - http://atmail.org/