Re: [libvirt] On shutdown Destroy/Delete

Daniel P. Berrange schreef:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:34:22PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:31:52PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:26:33PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
I would really like to know how I can make a defined domain *gone* after shutdown :) (instead of it still be defined, after shutdown)
[...]

Oh right, so am I correct in thinking you want the domain to be
undefined after it has shutdown itself?  That's not possible
currently.  AIUI undefining a running domain is either an illegal
operation or shuts it down abruptly -- you'll need to look in the
source to see which.  So you'd need some sort of 'reaper' cronjob to
regularly undefine domains after they have gone into the shutdown
state.

The easy answer is to simply *not* define it in the first place. If
you use  virDomainCreateLinux() instead of virDomainDefine+virDomainCreate
then you'll get a running VM without any persistent config file behind
it. Then all trace will disappear when it shuts down.

That would be too easy ;) I define the domain because my API interacts and ads resources before it is started. What I could do is before the actualy 'start' command to undefine it, and start it with a virDomainCreateLinux. That would be an interesting thought and now I think of it, probably a clean way :)

My domains are automatically migrated across my cluster, so I am not able to undefine it after shutdown, because technically I cannot know that a domain is defined at that place. Alternatively I really hope that the the ListDomains command shows the defined domains too :)

Stefan