[libvirt] virt-install and custom distros

We have an application that builds custom distributions based on RHEL, CentOS or Fedora. We would like to install these over the network using virt-install, but we've run into an issue with the distro check logic. Specifically, virt-install fails unless it finds a string "Red Hat Enterprise Linux", "Fedora" or "CentOS" within the family field of the .treeinfo file.

Our application currently sets the family field to the user-provided distro name (see below). We have avoided using the base distro name given trademark concerns.

    [general]
    family = <user provided value>
    variant = <user provided value>

We can get virt-install to pass the distro check by setting the family name to one of the accepted values, e.g.

    [general]
    family = Fedora
    variant = [user provided distro name]

Is this the expected/desired use for the family and variant fields? Or is there another approach we should consider?

Thanks,
Kay