[libvirt] routed networking

Hello

Perhaps this is my limited understanding of bridging, and I would appreciate someone to educate me in the way this is supposed to work, and/or point me to the documentation on where this is covered.

If I create a routed network using the following xml:
<network>
       <name>mybr0</name>
       <bridge name="mybr0" />
       <ip address="10.1.220.1" netmask="255.255.255.0" />
       <forward type="route" dev="eth1"/>
</network>

I would expect to see the eth1 interface enslaved to this bridge.
However, "brctl show" does not show any devices enslaved.

My goal is to have the guest get its IP address from a DHCP server not on dom0, but out on the network attached to by eth1, but as my guest comes up, I see its virtual NIC added to the bridge, but without the connection to eth1, it never has the proper connectivity.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

Ben