Re: [libvirt] RFC: virt-console

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 08:02:03PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > I hate --behave-like-you-should flags and will do everything I can to
> > avoid them. Let's not inconvenience everybody for the sake of some
> > possible breakage. The perils of people coding to human interfaces. (I
> > wanted to make --verbose the default, like telnet, but that seemed much
> > more likely to break someone's scripts).
>
> I'm mostly concerned about 'virsh console' - we only need to keep
> compatability for that. The standalone virt-console can have the
> auto-track restarts syntax and we can recommend use for virt-console
> as the primary tool, just having virsh console for compat.

Hmm, I'm not sure that's much of an improvement. Currently virsh is
a great one-stop shop for managing instances, it would be a shame if we
had to break that.

Fundamentally I don't believe that virsh console was ever a stable
interface to program to. Given that it goes to the domain console, how
could it be? The output of the domain on the console is surely not
stable.

(In Solaris land, we deal with this by explicitly documenting stability
of output and such; it's very much a shame that the wider UNIX community
never picked up on this.)

regards
john