Re: A sample program to create a Linux Container

Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
Dave Leskovec wrote:
Attached is a simple program that uses the clone() function to create a
container.  This is not intended as a patch - just an example of what
creating a Linux Container looks like.  Something along these lines will
be used by the Linux Container driver to start the domain.  The code run
within this container is really simple.  It just mounts the /proc file
system and then dumps the ps output to a file showing that the container
is in separate process space.

To run this you will need to have PID namespaces support enabled.  Turn
on CONFIG_PID_NS when compiling the kernel.  You must run the program as
root or the clone() call will fail.

Any questions or comments are welcome.  Thanks!

You want to use at least CLONE_NEWIPC and CLONE_NEWUSER too. CLONE_NEWUTS
is probably desired as well, so you can have different hostnames, and
CLONE_NEWNET for networking (though that's probably not going to be usable
until after 2.6.25, at least).

Thanks! I added CLONE_NEWIPC and CLONE_NEWUTS. Adding CLONE_NEWUSER caused clone() to fail. I'm looking into that.

I'll post in the near future regarding CLONE_NEWNET, network support for containers, and the XML format.

--
Best Regards,
Dave Leskovec