Re: PATCH: Add dep on 'nc' RPM

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:38:54PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
The libvirt SSH tunnelling support requires 'nc' to operate. The libvirt
RPM does not, however, have any dependancy on 'nc'. So by default it is
pure luck whether you can use SSH tunnelling after installing the libvirt
package & starting the daemon. Even though we don't technically need it
on the client end, I figure nc is so small we may as well add a dep to
the main libvirt RPM. This ensures nc is present anywhere the daemon is.
It's an obvious +1 for this RPM dependency.

I wonder if we should also check at configure time for the version of nc in Debian which doesn't have the '-U' option? Even though someone might compile on Debian but use the resulting client to connect to a Red Hat system ... The original plan was to bundle a 'nc' replacement ('libvirtd-cat') for people to run on the remote system.

Does debian have  'socat' by chance ?

# socat stdio unix-connect:/var/lib/xend/xend-socket GET /

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal server error
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-control: no-cache

If so, we could install a 'nc' shell script which called to socat to emulate it on Debian ?

Yes it does:

http://packages.debian.org/socat

and so does Fedora (but not RHEL...). Should we switch entirely to using socat? Another option would be to make it configurable and/or trying to work out a runtime way to detect the presence of each.

Rich.