Re: C bindings

On 10 Dec 2007, at 07:36, Katti, Vadiraj (STSD-Openview) wrote:

Hi All,
I'm new to Xen world and am in the process of collecting performance information of various guests from dom0. Can somebody help me out with these problems.

1. I downloaded libvirt-0.3.3 src and did a 'make' and I'm seeing this problem.

xen_internal.c: In function 'xenHypervisorDomainGetOSType':
xen_internal.c:2711: error: 'DOMFLAGS_HVM' undeclared (first use in this function) xen_internal.c:2711: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
xen_internal.c:2711: error: for each function it appears in.)
xen_internal.c: In function 'xenHypervisorGetDomInfo':
xen_internal.c:2943: error: 'DOMFLAGS_HVM' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [libvirt_la-xen_internal.lo] Error 1

Can you:

find /usr/include -name '*.h' | xargs grep DOMFLAGS_DYING

and also tell us what version of xen, xen-devel and kernel-xen you have installed.

2. I want to know what are the rpm that the Xen server must have to pull out the performance data of various guests.

You will require libvirt >= 0.3.3

3. My Xen server now has these rpms :
# rpm -qa |grep libvirt
      libvirt-0.2.0-0.16
      libvirt-python-0.2.0-0.16

Do I need any other rpms to compile my c programs ? Is there any document which says how I can compile my c-program using libvirt ? I tried running info1 example in debug mode and I get this error :

libvirt-devel contains the C development API, header files and library.
./info1
libvirt: virConnectOpenReadOnly (name=(null))
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: virInitialize ()
libvirt: do_open: proceeding with name=xen:///
libvirt: do_open: trying driver 0 (Test) ...
libvirt: do_open: driver 0 Test returned DECLINED
libvirt: do_open: trying driver 1 (QEMU) ...
libvirt: do_open: driver 1 QEMU returned DECLINED
libvirt: do_open: trying driver 2 (Xen) ...
libvirt: xenUnifiedOpen: trying Xen sub-driver 0
libvirt: xenUnifiedOpen: Xen sub-driver 0 open ok
libvirt: xenUnifiedOpen: trying Xen sub-driver 2
libvirt: xenUnifiedOpen: Xen sub-driver 2 open ok
libvirt: xenUnifiedOpen: trying Xen sub-driver 3
libvir: Xen Store error : could not use Xen hypervisor entry failed to connect to Xen Store
libvirt: xenUnifiedOpen: Xen sub-driver 3 open failed
libvirt: do_open: driver 2 Xen returned ERROR
Failed to connect to hypervisor

Apparently the xenstore daemon isn't running. This is a fairly fundamental part of Xen. Again, need to know what version of Xen you're running.
4. what is libvirt_proxy ? What is its use ?
I assume this is used to connect to hypervisor (am I right ?) When I run this, it says "Failed to open Xen hypervisor"

No, libvirt_proxy is something you can ignore.

libvirt tries several methods to connect to Xen, including: direct hypervisor calls and connecting to xend. It can also remotely access a libvirtd daemon.

Rich.