Re: Proposal for the storage API (for discussion only)

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 11:05:30AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:53:27AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
Using structures in the public API is not in keeping with the rest of
the libvirt APIs. We should be using XML for the main metadata description
of volumes & pools.
No, that doesn't make sense. XML for an API is a hack. It's hard to
 I disagree with you. XML is perfectly suitable for descriptions,
especially when you need extendability and you can't control the future range
of extensions. It's not proper for 'runtime' operations, but as a way to
describe complex structures I find it fills its role perfectly.
These are not complex structures. It's a list of volumes, and each volume has 3 or 4 attributes (name, total size, free space, and a few flags).

They are not complex /currently/ because they are missing a lot of the metadata we will need for a complete solution.

Such as ...?

Rich.