Re: Re: Asynchronous notifications of domain start/stop

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
The daemon has a buffer of outgoing data - and it appends to this buffer
discrete 'XDR' messages. So we should be able to simply append another
XDR message per notification & not have to overly worry about things
being mixed up in the stream. When the client is deserializing replies
during normal calls it'll have to keep an eye out for messages which are
in fact notifications, rather than its expected reply, but again that should not be too hard since we're dealing with discrete XDR encoded messages. So AFAICT we don't need any OOB or piggybacking stuff - just queue up the data to send as normal.

Obviously at the moment, remote calls are completely synchronous on the client side. remote_internal.c:call() is a function which serialises the args, writes them to the socket, then sits there waiting for a reply. I guess we're not planning to make this asynchronous? (Or are we??)

Unless we change remote_internal.c, events which happen outside of calls won't be delivered upwards asynchronously, but only when the app happens to make a libvirt call.

Rich.