Re: Re: parted/LVM for ET [Storage manager initial requirements and thoughts

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 07:16:21PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And (4) can be done by libvirtd using ordinary POSIX calls, so no
external library support is needed, just some work to remote those
operations (which is mostly done).
Isn't doing #4 portably pretty tricky?  There's still too much
variation, because many of the details aren't covered by POSIX.
At least for GNU df, it was -- it uses the mountlist module from gnulib:
We don't need to enumerate all the mount points. The admin will simply
Lucky you :)

configure particulra directories (eg /var/lib/xen/images) as storage
repositories. So we only need to be able to call statfs/statvfs on
particular paths where we want to create a new image.

Of course, if your target is just Linux, then it is easier.
Minimally we have to target Solaris too, since we know they already use
libvirt.
Ok.  Then this (also used by df) might help, if you ever
need portability to e.g., older Solaris, *BSD, AIX, HP-UX, etc.

http://cvs.sv.gnu.org/viewcvs/gnulib/lib/fsusage.c?root=gnulib&view=markup

Unfortunately we can't use that. The license is GPL, while libvirt needs
to be LGPL :-(

I'm sure we can use it as guidance for possible problems though. I'm quite surprised there are portability problems with statfs. Isn't it a v7 call, didn't think there wouldn't be much that could go wrong :-)

Rich.