Re: [RFC] Life-cycle Management of the domain take2

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 10:59:37PM +0900, Saori Fukuta wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your comment !

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:33:57 +0100 "Richard W.M. Jones" wrote:
It sounds to me like the real solution would be to either fix virDomainGetXMLDesc to return these missing fields, or add another call to get them, or (for the password) to store it elsewhere.

How about loading the original config XML and the XML from the running domain (virDomainGetXMLDesc), and then updating the config XML with only certain fields from the running domain?
Well, I'm not sure about the meaning of "original config XML" but I do
not think it is possible because the original config file might be not XML
like a Xen config file. Xen does not have XML file.
Is this right ?

  Yes I'm not sure that in general you can always hope to reconstruct the
content of the configuration file just from a pointer to a running instance,

OK, so the problem is two-fold then:

(1) libvirt virDomainGetXMLDesc should, if possible, return all the fields from the original XML that was passed in virDomainDefineXML.

(2) If we just have a running instance, then perhaps not everything can be retrieved, but virDomainGetXMLDesc ought to retrieve as much as possible -- someone should file bugs for fields that they would like out which could be available.

Is that right?

Rich.