Re: [RFC] Host and guest capabilities

Daniel Veillard wrote:
  This sounds too variable, adding an entry point per capability of
some of the hypervisor available will lead to just too many entry points
once the set of virtualization engines and associated benefits increase.
That's one of the places where I feel wy more comfortable returning an
XML description which can then be augmented as more features are added.

But this API is _precisely_ designed to be extensible. The virCapabilities structure is not accessible to callers (unlike, say, virNodeInfo), except through accessor functions. We can add accessor functions in future.

Returning XML just punts the problem elsewhere. Now clients need to worry about parsing the XML, and there's no real guarantee that the XML won't change in a way which is incompatible with the clients. Whereas by using ordinary functions we have that guarantee.

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421