Re: Virtual networking

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 04:26:38PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

 http://people.redhat.com/berrange/libvirt/libvirt-arch-remote-2.png

Thought provoking.

It makes me wonder - should there be (or is there) a generic way to remote C shared library calls? This sort of thing exists in other languages (eg. Java RMI).

The trouble with C is that there's soo many to choose from :-) There's
CORBA, XML-RPC, DBus, SunRPC to list but 4. The latter is interesting
because you can auto-generate the C stubs for client & server...if only
we can find a way to then layer it over SSL ?

On the subject of SunRPC, the implementation in glibc in fact does allow you to replace the basic send/recv operations, so it would* be possible to write a back end which talked over (say) gnutls.

On the other hand, XML-RPC has mindshare, has a nice enough C library (xmlrpc-c: http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/) and supports SSL**.

Rich.

* Or so it seems from looking at the code, but I'd need to write a test client & server to be sure.

** Only checked this on the client side, haven't verified that the server side can support SSL yet.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd.
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF