Configuration and building libvirt.

We want to configure and build libvirt library (0.1.4 for instance) from tar.gz file on a IA32 platform with RHEL4U2 distro without installing and build all Xen modules.
The steps are the following:
   tar -xzvf libvirt-0.1.4.tar.gz
   cd libvirt-0.1.4
   ./configure --prefix=/usr
   make
   make install

Unfortunatly, the "./configure --prefix=/usr " aborts with:
   checking for library containing xs_read... no
   configure: error: Xen store library not found
(see attached file)
corresponding to lines:
   dnl search for the Xen store library
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(xs_read, [xenstore], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([Xen store library not found])])
in the configure file.
We have then transfered the libxenstore.so file into /usr/lib directory of our machine, but the result is the same. (NB: We had previously transferred all Xen public C header files into /usr/include/xen directory)

1- Could you tell us what are the Xen files strictly necessary to achieve this operation? 2- Is this operation also possible with a IA64 building environment on our IA32 platform?

Regards.
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for g77 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g77 PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g77 static flag -static works... yes
checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for library containing xs_read... no
configure: error: Xen store library not found
[root@linuxcom2 libvirt-0.1.4]# locate xenstore
/usr/bin/xenstore-read
/usr/lib/libxenstore.so
/usr/lib/libxenstore.a