Re: State of driver backend infrastructure

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:22:04AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 01:44:36PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >  1. In all of these methods I followed example from virDomainSetMemory and
> >     put in
> >
> >     if (domain->conn->flags & VIR_CONNECT_RO)
> >          return (-1);
> >
> >     This prevents these methods working with a 'read only' connection, however,
> >     this is a deviation from previous semantics. Even with a read only connection,
> >     XenD will let arbitrary unprivileged user shutdown/suspend/resume/etc a
> >     domain, so by putting this VIR_CONNECT_RO check in we'd be preventing an
> >     operation which used to work.
>
>    Hum, there is pros and cons. Pro is obviously cleaness and long term
> maintainance/expectations (this will have to be fixed). Cons is the fact
> it is allowed and putting the limitation in libvirt does not fix anything
> and we don't know yet what the final security policy will be...
> Also it blocks regression tests from running as an user and force to su
> before running 'make tests' which is a bit inconvenient...

When I commit this I'll wrap the VIR_CONNECT_RO flag test in a '#ifdef PEDANTIC'
conditional. So the default semantics of these methods will be unchanged for
now, unless you explicitly add -DPEDANDIC to the compiler flags. We can re-visit
it at a later day whe XenD gets a sensible security / authentication model.

> >     What was the reason to call xenDaemonDomainShutdown  twice ? With my
>
>   my guess is that's just an error due to a factoring remains from when the
> xenDaemonDomainShutdown() code was directly inlined in that routine.

Ok, so I've commited the patch and not worried about the duplicated calls.

Dan.