Re: Reinstall and keep data LV

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 06:11:49PM +0200, Markus Falb wrote:

> The solution is to activate the LVs in %pre
> It turns out that there is /dev/sda present but not the device files for /dev/sdaX.
>
> …snip
> %pre
> mknod /dev/sda2 b 8 2
> pvscan
> vgchange -ay
> %end
> snap…
>
> alternatively this oneliner is working too, interestingly
>
> …snip
> %pre
> parted /dev/sda unit MiB print
> %end
> snip…
>
> Note that with the parted command it is not necessary to vgchange afterwards.
>
> Is there a builtin kickstart command that accomplishes the same instead of some %pre?
> If not, why is %pre necessary? %pre was not necessary with RHEL7. Is this by design or is it a bug?

This is a bug of some sort, as David said. The fact that parted print
fixed it makes me think that your storage is slow, since all parted does
is open/close the device and tell the kernel to rescan the partitions --
which should have already happened at boot time when the device
appeared.

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart