Re: CentOS 8 Kickstart Questions?

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 01:39:06PM -0400, Gunnar Niels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm experimenting setting up a home CentOS 8 server with ~7 SATA
> drives and would like to be able to insert a pen drive with an iso and
> have it automatically install non-interactively. I've been trying to
> craft my own iso with an embedded ks file that I've generated, and
> I've read the docs but they leave a lot of questions remaining:

The Fedora release of lorax now includes a tool to help with this,
mkksiso, which should also work with CentOS8

https://weldr.io/lorax/mkksiso.html

As for the rest of the questions, it might be better to ask on the
anaconda-devel list since they're really questions about the
installation not about kickstart itself.

> [Password Generation]
> I'm trying to generate the hashed password to set in the kickstart, ex:
>
> rootpw --iscrypted {{ root_pass_hash }}
>
> I've read from a few sources that this can be generated via python
> using the following:
>
> python -c "import crypt; print(crypt.crypt('{{ root_password }}'))"

Just to make sure -- your password is everything between the '' quotes, so
if you put {{ }} in there... :)

> I'm using: "auth --passalgo=sha256 --useshadow" in my ks file, but in
> my testing, the password I hashed is rejected. I'm assuming this is

I'd give it a try without using auth, these days the defaults are
usually what you want. Although these settings are unrelated to the hash
you set with rootpw, which contains an algorithm specific identifier as
part of the hash so that's unlikely to be the issue.

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart