Re: RFC: Disk specification by classes/tags

You can name individual MD devices, but say you've got a fleet
consisting of HP, Dell and SuperMicro servers. The HPs have 3
controllers for all the disks inside them, and the boot device you
want to use to make the raid is the first device on first controller
and the first device on the last controller, which would be /dev/sda
and /dev/sd<???>. The Dells have one *good* controller, and you've got
an script that hits the DRAC to build the RAID on it, so your boot
device ISN'T an MD, it's just /dev/sda. Except in some cases it's
/dev/sdb for reasons you can't figure out. The SuperMicros have some
halfassed windows only RAID controller which sits at sda1, but
*DOESN'T* WORK under Linux at all, so your physical devices for MD are
/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc.

So to recap, you've got HPs which have /dev/sda and
/dev/sd<ICantRemember> in an MD, SuperMicros which use /dev/sdb and
/dev/sdc in an MD, and Dells which don't use an MD, but use either
/dev/sda or /dev/sdb/

However you don't want to have 3 completely different ks.cfg scripts
because it's easier to maintain one in pieces than 3.

Oh, and you've got 500 of the Dells, 72 (and counting) of the
SuperMicros, and a couple dozen of the HPs. In 40 or 50 datacenters
across the country.

Upgrades are a grand old time.

What I did (no, that was not a gedankenexperiment. There were other
servers in the mix, but I didn't build anything to accommodate them,
they were close enough to the Dells) was to have a "pre" script that
ran dmidecode to get the model number of the server then build a
"drives.cfg" that was %include(d) in the ks.cfg.

But IMO it would be cleaner to be able to build your own (using bash
syntax here) fredsBoot=$(config_drive.sh) and then use @fredsBoot in
the drive syntax.