From: kickstart-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kickstart-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Lumens
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 10:54 AM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: moving kickstart forward

Hey everyone, I've been maintaining pykickstart and kickstart support in anaconda in general for a very long time now, though I've not been very active on this list.

I'm going to be looking at kickstart exclusively for the forseeable future.  Specifically, my focus is going to be on widening its adoption and making it more useful to everyone.  The first step in this process is information gathering.

Here's what I would like to know from you guys:

* How do you use kickstart right now?  What work flows do you have around it?  Do you generate kickstart files from some process?  Do you store them in version control?

* What do you do in your kickstart files?  Do you have extensive %pre and %post sections?  If so, what kinds of things are you doing in them?
Are you doing anything that would be generally useful that I should be doing for you?  Do you ever use %traceback?  Do you have unusual stuff going on in %packages?

* What can I do to make your life easier?  What annoys you about kickstart right now?  What do you wish it did?  What do you wish it didn't do?  Would making it more like a language be helpful?  Would making it easier to define site-specific commands be helpful?

I know this is all really vague stuff, but I am just starting out on this project.  I don't even really know where this is going to take me yet.

I'd also like to emphasize that whatever I end up doing, I want to keep compatibility with kickstart as it exists today.  That's something I take seriously in pykickstart.

- Chris