From: kickstart-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kickstart-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ess, Brandon
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:36 PM
To: Discussion list about Kickstart
Subject: RE: RHEL6.5 provisioning without DHCP

May I ask why you cannot have a DHCP server? As far as Im aware DHCP is required for PXEboot to work. The PXE client with get an IP packet with other information such as where to TFTP the rest pf the pxe files.

So in my environment, DHCP packets are received on our WAN gateway and then forwarded to the company's corporate DHCP servers. Since I do not have access to those DHCP servers and two DHCP servers on the same network does not work (sans proper VLANs) another solution needs to be developed; enter DHCPproxy and DNSmasq

DNSmasq/DHCPproxy will only respond to DHCP packets from configured MAC address.

I cannot remember off the top of my head what version but DHCPproxy is built into newer versions of dhcpd, and dnsmasq is a completely separate utility. The version of dhcpd shipped with RHEL6 does not support dhcpproxy, and therefore dnsmasq is required. Ubuntu 1404 and RHEL7 do support native dhcpproxy via dhcpd.

Once you have PXEboot configured, you will point the pxelinux.cfg files to the RHEL6 netboot images, the iso will be loaded, and install via your KS files.

https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP

Good luck :)

-Brandon