Re: Creating completely custom Package and repodata

On 08/05/2014 04:54 PM, Adam Grossman wrote:
Hello,

I am completely new to this, so this a totally newbie question. I have been asked to create a very custom CentOS 6.4 release for internal use. I have had no problems with creating a kickstart file and customizing it from the options in "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart";, and all my %pre scripts have worked great. The only place i am stuck at is creating a a completely a custom "core" group and other custom groups. My only attempt so far was to create a custom group by:

yum-groups-manager --merge repodata/<*.comp.xml file> -n "customgroup" --id=customgroup --description "Custom packages" -c yum.conf --save=repodata/<*.comp.xml file> <package name>

(yum.conf is the repo for repo with the custom rpms) . When i added "customgroup" to the "%packages" section, as getting errors saying that the group can not be found.

before i run "createrepo" and try doing this all from scratch, i was hoping to at least get a custom group working with the existing repodata.

I might have completely missed it, but i can not find any detailed information on how the repodata and the files in there work, and how to setup a completely custom repo on the ISO. Does anyone know where i can find detailed documentation explaining how this works, or point me to a tutorial on how to do what i am looking to do? I not only need to get this done, but i also want to understand what it is doing and how it works so i can more self-sufficient and do all of these cleanly and correctly.

Once you've created the new comp.xml file with yum-group-manager, you need to regenerate the repodata using createrepo -g <comp.xml file>. If customgroup if showing up in your new comp.xml with all of the packages you need, then I think that's all you're missing.