post script hanging system

Hi All,

I'm kickstarting using cobbler off of a CentOS 6.3 box.

I have a post install script to automagically change root's passwd to
something random:
echo "root:`cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9' | fold -w 20 | head
-1`" > /root/`hostname`.passwd && cat /root/`hostname`.passwd |chpasswd

If I run this on the command line of a already installed system then the
command executes as expected and returns me to my shell prompt

When executed inside of the installer the system hangs. If I switch
consoles to F2 I see the cat command as well as tr and fold all running.
If i kill the cat command then the system finishes installing and reboots.

I'm not sure why it's not working inside of the install environment but
works in a installed environment.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Harry