Re:Aligning partitions

On 11/30/11 02:30 AM, I wrote from a different account:
Re: Alligning partitions

Hi
I am building Red Hat 5.4 and 5.5 boxes on VMWare and some on HP blades with SAN attached storage. I need to do partition alignment during build which I understand is done automatically in Red Hat 6's version of anaconda and later but not yet in 5.4, 5.5. So a number of questions:
* I could not find an option for part in the docs  (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#part_or_partition) that easily allow me to set a sector offset. I have found a number of ways to do this but was wondering if there is an hidden option to do this using part. Currently I am using fdisk to create a partition starting at sector 64 rather than 63 for SAN storage and doing the same for VMWare boxes.

I *thought* (check with VMware) that after Vsphere 3 you wouldn't need to align the partitions any more--but the last time I checked was in 2009, so I could be seriously wrong. Or you could be running V3, in which case...
I was wrong about this, at least in 4.0.

* How can I easily debug my kickstart? I currently change the kickstart and then reboot the physical server but that is very painful as it has to go through all of the bios checks etc and then sometime I forget to press F12... I tried adding a sleep 100000 to my pre scripts which works and allows me to run some commands on the command line but I am not sure how to "reparse" the kickstart file to test whether new settings works.

I usually use VMware Workstation/Player to debug my kickstart scripts, with lots of redirecting to different log files. This lets me sit in my somewhat comfy chair in a slightly quieter machine room (my desk is on a raised floor, but most of the servers are in the other room) and watch the installs while I do other things. Then when I've got it mostly right I run it on the real hardware, which would (eventually) be a known transform.

One of my co-workers pointed me to an rpm called "pykickstart" that contains ksvalidator.

It seems to work as it gave me the same errors on my ks.cfg as anaconda did.

I still don't understand why --resolution and --depth don't take any options in 6.1, when they don't make sense without options.

Regards,
Petro.
:wq