Re: Setting gconf/dconf keys in kickstart

On 08/02/2011 09:15 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
Hi,

Not sure if this is considered OT. If so my apologies.

I had a nicely working kickstart setup for rolling out F14 to my laptop.
Even setting gconf keys worked (after many late nights fighting with
it). Setting those gconf keys no longer works with F15. Does anyone have
any snippets where they use gconf & dconf to tweak some GNOME 3 desktop
settings?

For example, here are some snippets from the kickstart file in the %post
section that do not work:

# Show weekdays in the calendar
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.calendar show-weekdate true

# Show the date in the panel
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.clock show-date true

# Enable min,max,close buttons
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --set
"/desktop/gnome/shell/windows/button_layout" --type string
":minimize,maximize,close"

After the kickstart install has finished and I log in, none of these
settings are active. But when I issue those commands manually as user
patrick they have the desired result (only for that user).

What am I doing wrong? How can I set those keys in %post, preferably for
all users?

Thanks!
Patrick

I've done similar things in a script that gets called from %post and they were successfully set.

One difference is that these were made to the mandatory tree instead of defaults, though I don't think that should make a difference. The script follows.

Hugh

GCONFTOOL="gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory"

# add the minimize/maximize buttons to windows
$GCONFTOOL -t string --set /desktop/gnome/shell/windows/button_layout ":minimize,maximize,close"

# disable user_switch
$GCONFTOOL -t bool --set /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_user_switching true

# if regular users can't read these keys, it doesn't work
find /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

# create an area for our dconf configuration
cat >/etc/dconf/profile/user <<EOF
user
local
EOF

# w/o the locks dir, dconf update gets cranky
# the local.d is a standin for the missing "local" db since there don't
# seem to be any ready made tools for creating these binary dbs
[ ! -d /etc/dconf/db/local.d/locks ] && mkdir -p /etc/dconf/db/local.d/locks

cat >/etc/dconf/db/local.d/foo <<EOF
[org.gnome.shell.clock]
show-date = true

[org.gnome.desktop.session]