Re: editing log files at post

Yes, order is important, as the options will only affect logfiles that come after them, and since most of your logfiles are defined in logrotate.d, the compress option comes too late.

To uncomment the existing compress option with sed, just use:

sed -i 's/^#compress/compress/' /etc/logrotate.conf

An easier (and more reliable) technique, however, is to add your option overrides to a file that gets included before any of the other included files, like so:

echo "compress" >> /etc/logrotate.d/000-local-overrides

That way you don't have to worry about figuring out whether the commented out option is in the config file or what to do if someone has added a space after the comment character.