Re: FTP/HTTP vs NFS install

leilei175@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for your help, Cris

Yes, I do use "linux askmethod" on the command line.
So if I insert a CD to boot the raw box, it is impossible to use
remote http/ftp install trees?
However I was able to use nfs in this situation. That's weird.

I don't have PXE  in my environment
If I would like to boot a raw box and ask it to use kickstart file and
install tree on a http server
what should I do, Could you give me some suggestions?

I havn't used the netboot.iso image you mentioned.
Is it possible to create a bootable CD with netboot.iso?

I'm not sure if this will work for RHEL4, but for RHEL5, I can just append my ks=http://www.example.com/kickstart.txt at the boot prompt.

Similarly, I burned a custom build CD and a USB key:
rough instructions for CD:
1. copy isolinux/vmlinux, vmlinux/initrd, and isolinux.isolinux.bin from the first RHEL5 CD to a /tmp/src. 2. copy isolinux/isolinux.cfg to /tmp/src and customize it by adding your custom ks line and removing uneeded stuff
3. create /tmp/src/boot.msg and put some text to describe what to type
4. run mkbootcd

============mkbootcd==============
cd /tmp/src/
mkisofs -o ../boot.iso \
-b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat \
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
./
cd ..

burn and test /tmp/boot.iso

to make a pen drive, run "syslinux dev" on a fat32-formatted thumb drive ( substitute dev for the block device of the thumb drive), copy /tmp/src/* to the drive and rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

I use this method to build RHEL5 boxes which fetch the kickstart file over http and install from NFS

Jason