Re: how determine if kickstarting a virtual host?

You guys basically nailed how I set a hardware type variable when a system is up and running:

# (two tests here help distinguish xen guest from xen host)
elif grep -q '/dev/mem: mmap: Bad address' $TMP && \
     grep -q xen /proc/version ; then
        hardware_type=XenVirtual
elif grep -q 'Product Name: VMware Virtual Platform' $TMP; then
        hardware_type=VmwareVirtual

where $TMP is a file with the output of dmidecode. But I don't know for sure if these will work in a kickstart environment.

I'm also hoping someone will provide a detection suggestion for the case of a fully virtualized KVM guest...

-Ed

Terry McIntyre wrote:
I am using xen -- got this result:

dmidecode
# dmidecode 2.9
/dev/mem: mmap: Bad address

-- which may be just as good for my purposes.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Shabazian, Chip