Re: RHEL5 Kickstart and serial console

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Adam Goodall wrote:

I'm trying to setup a RHEL5.4 server to output to a serial console with as little setup effort as possible.

A laudable goal (-:

When i was doing the same on RHEL4, it was a two step process:
1) add console=ttyS1,19200 to the kernel boot argument at install time
2) add bootloader --location mbr --append="console=ttyS1,19200" to the
kickstart file.

Well, here's selected bits from my setup.

RHEL4:
1) label rhel4
   kernel vmlinuz4
   append initrd=init4.img ks=hd:sdb1:/configs/rhel4.cfg console=ttyS0,9600

2) bootloader --location=mbr --append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600 rhgb quiet"

Not quite sure about the first part of the --append, but it works and has done for years. We use ttyS0 on every Dell and Sun box I've ever kickstarted. Perhaps RHEL5 has relabeled your serial port?

RHEL5:
1) label rhel5
   kernel vmlinuz5
   append initrd=init5.img ks=hd:sdb1:/configs/rhel5.cfg console=ttyS0,9600

2) bootloader --location=mbr --append="console=ttyS0,9600 rhgb quiet"

Here, the --append section is identical to yours (other than S0 over S1). Which is surprising if your setup setup doesn't work...

This set up everything required in the following files:
/boot/grub/grub.conf
/etc/inittab
/etc/securetty

And life was easy...

I am now trying to do the same thing in RHEL5 but it is not having the same effect. Using the setup above, It sets up the grub config but doesnt setup the inittab or securetty entries, resulting in no output to the serial console after the server has booted. Obviously i could handle this in the post section and ammend the files as required, but i was wondering if anyone had an elegant solution that makes it as easy as the way i did it on RHEL4?

Well, the above lines have worked for me on RHEL5.x up to current for 32 and 64 bit on over 80 assorted machines (with only one serial port). Perhaps if there's no ttyS1 on your boxes (being discovered as ttyS0) then the install isn't adding the necessary lines.

Just a guess.

Ben
        Life Is Short.          It's All Good.