Re: USB devices not being seen in anaconda during RHEL4 kickstart

Ben wrote:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Al Alder wrote:

Had a very similar problem with some HP servers and RHEL 4. RHEL 4 did not recognize the disk controller in the newer HP machines. Our solution was to go to RHEL 4.6 which had the driver for the newer disk controllers. So you are running into a similar problem with your USB stick. RHEL5.3 works because its initrd image has the driver for the USB. You can

1) rebuild your initrd image with the USB driver
2) just use RHEL 5.3

I investigated number 1, but couldn't find any documentation that explained how to that for the initial install boot initrd. Am sure I could have monkeyed with it and gotten it to work if I had had the time.

I'm not sure I want to get into rolling my own special initrd, but needs must and all that.

Last I did it, it's not hard, it was a compressed CPIO archive.
mkdir /tmp/initrd
cd /tmp/initrd
cat /boot/initrd | gunzip | cpio --extract -d
{
  hack
  repack
  test
} until done

The hack is the hard bit:-)
It's also a good way to get your ks file in there.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait