Re: miscellaneous

tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

2. For %post (and %pre ?) there is a way to pass parameters.  Say you have
the above (from #1). If you say "mylabel install=cdma parm" from your %post (and maybe %pre though I did not try it) there will be a file available called /proc/cmdline. The contents will be something like
   initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=cdrom:myks.cfg install=cdma parm
   which you will have access to.

Again sorry if you knew this already but no one seemed to when I asked.

Rather than passing parameters through the kernel (which can be messy in case the kernel cares about those values or you run out of room on teh command line), you can also use a kickstart templating system to define parameters. This is much nicer IMHO.

Cobbler (http://fedorahosted.org/cobbler) contains a system to do this. Install it and read the manpage on --ks-meta and the Wiki pages on KickstartTemplating for more details.