Re: Partitioning setup error during CentOS 5.2 setup as guest

2008/7/31 Admin Admin <qmt9z3@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for your response!

I thought this done via xen-create-image script.
I was able to access  partitions identified in
the (xen) config file and was able to assign the
mount lables (such as /, /usr, /var, etc) during
the install. When I try to leave the area of
'Creating Custom Paritions', I get the above error.

If what you are referring to is not the same as
the above, then could you please point me to some
documentation on how I can create parition table
inside the LV?

To create the partition table, I think "fdisk" on the Dom0 with the LV's name could do that for you.

Before you do that you should allocate an entire LV for the DomU's disk to contain all the partitions.

A useful tool to access the DomU's partitions from the Dom0 (after "fdisk", e.g. to mount partitions) is kpartx.

It's all based on a guess that the CentOS installation process depends on finding a partition table, something that the Debian/Ubuntu Xen configuration tools usually don't do.

Just be aware that the way Ubuntu configures Xen guests is different from the way that CentOS does it - and when crossing this border you should expect some mismatches and adjustments to close the gaps.

Cheers,

--Amos