Re: mixing RHEL 4.0 and 4.6 boot

Al Alder wrote:
We have an HP Proliant server.  This server has SATA drives.  We are
required by our customer to install
RHEL 4.0.  The kickstart that we use is done via PXE boot.  The 4.0 does not
have the driver for the SATA drives.
RHEL 4.6 does have the drive.  Will replacing the kickstart 4.0 pxelinux.0
on the kickstart machine with the 4.6
pxelinux.0 cause the server to boot with the right driver and then continue
to install 4.0?

I would start by asking the customer why they want out-of-date, unsupported software with known security problems (and feel free to check the errata for something that might make them nervous) instead of software that is supported properly, with known security problems fixed and that has binary compatibility with RHEL 4.0.

If they persist, I might even ask for a signed document to that effect:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait