Re: Can you set a blank root passwd with a kickstart file?

Klaus Steden wrote:
I don�t believe so, but you could stick a �passwd �d root� in the �<post>�
section of your Kickstart file to clobber it during the tail end of
installation.

cheers,
Klaus

On 6/25/08 2:30 PM, "niall el-assaad" <niallel@xxxxxxxxx>did etch on stone
tablets:

Hi,

Is there a way of setting the "rootpw" entry so that there is no root
password.

I want to make the iso install completely and then ask the user to change the
root password on first login.

So they would just enter
login: root

then it will ask them to change their password.

I would have thought setting it to some known constant, eg "toor" would work as well.

I'm not sure that Klaus' idea with passwd works, but for sure both sed and perl can do it. As can vim:
ex /etc/passwd -c '/root/ s/:x:/::/' -c :wq

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait