Re: Setting up a non standard environment

Thanks for the quick reply Klaus. I'm currently using the %post section to install various applications and config settings, but my problem here is that I don't know which files to edit to make the changes to the gnome panel/launchers. I'm currently performing this step manually on every install. I guess this is more a question for gnome rather than the kickstart list.

Cheers
Matt

Klaus Steden wrote:

Hi Matt,

If I understand you correctly, what you would have to do would be to edit the various desktop (i.e. GNOME or KDE) setup and control scripts. There are a couple of possible approaches to this problem, but the details will vary, so I won’t attempt to explain those since I don’t know your environment. Regardless of the details, though, you can simply add this to the ‘%post’ section of your Kickstart file. This part gets executed immediately after all software installs have been completed, and the system is otherwise ready to go. You could try one or all of the following, depending on what works best for you:

   1. Include diff’s or script instructions in %post to make the edits
      needed to the files you want to change.
   2. Write pre-baked versions of the file(s) you want tweaked and
      store them on a local server, to be fetched via ‘wget’ or
      similar during %post and saved to the appropriate locations on
      the newly-installed OS.
   3. Use a tool like ‘cfengine’ or ‘puppet’ to apply a more
      systematic strategy to this kind of change management

I’ve applied all three strategies in various ways over the years, and they all have their respective merits and flaws. #3 is particularly useful if you want to easily handle ongoing change management tasks on a regular basis, in addition to pre-configuring new systems.

As far as the changes necessary to add launchers and change file browser behaviour, I wouldn’t be able to explain it quickly over email, and the details will vary depending on the desktop system (GNOME vs. KDE vs. vanilla X11) you’re using, so you’d have to consult the respective documentation. Regardless, if you can make these changes on a running system using a simple text editor and a command line, you can easily apply the same process in the %post section of a Kickstart configuration file.

hth,
Klaus

On 5/21/08 3:51 PM, "Matt Milliss" <matt_milliss@xxxxxxxxx>did etch on stone tablets:

    I'm using a kickstart script to install fedora 8 with gnome on all
    desktops in my organisation. There are 2 things I would like to
    automatically setup but don't quite know how. We have many
    applications and I would like to add launchers to the top panel
    for these applications, at the moment I do this manually but would
    like to find out if there is a way to have this happen
    automatically, possibly using skel or something similar. I'd also
    like to change the default behaviour of the file browser
    (nautilus?) without having to manually perform the steps for every
    install. Is there a way that this can be done? Any help would be
    greatly appreciated as it would save me lots of time.

    Cheers
    Matt