Re: Cross Installation

Steve Robson wrote:

We would like, somehow, to do a "cross installation" of Fedora 8. Is it possible?

Sounds like you just want to "clone" the disk..? Maybe something like "dump" and "restore"?

I was thinking of
1. Insert preconfigured disk. Assume for discussion it appears at /dev/sde
2. dd if=/dev/sde of=/var/local/embedded.img
3. Remove disk
4 Repeat until done {
 4.a Insert blank disk. Assume for discussion it appears at /dev/sde
 4.b dd if=/dev/var/local/imbedded.img of=/dev/sde
 4.c remove disk
}

This is fairly tedious, but doesn't require actual, immediate, access to the hardware and can be done by a low-skilled person (eg the office junior). You can also speed things up somewhat by doing several at once.

If these imbedded devices can boot from a network or CD then the whole process can be scripted, requiring perhaps no more than plugging into the right network and powering up. You could use Anaconda, but for any significant number I would not.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait