Re: sha rootpw encryption in ks.cfg

On Apr 24, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Phillip Groven wrote:

In my ks.cfg files I encrypt the root password using grub-md5-crypt

According to the below article I an use sha512
How can I encrypt the password using sha?

The article you quoted tells you how to do that....
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512

What version of Red Hat is Rawhide?

Rawhide isn't a specific version, it's an automatically built distribution of whatever the latest versions of all the packages are in the source repository.  It's intended for use by developers doing testing and it is frequently broken or unstable.  What the comment means is that if you want it now you have to get it from Rawhide and hope you can make it work, otherwise you have to wait until the next release, which will include these changes.

This is a new feature that has been requested in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux product line. The supported algorithms are DES,MD5, and SHA-256/512. They will be available after the upcoming updates releases as well as in Rawhide. The new algorithms will be configurable via Kickstart only. Here is the correct code.
DES
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=descrypt
rootpw fedora
MD5
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
rootpw fedora
or
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=md5
rootpw fedora
SHA-256
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha256
rootpw fedora
SHA-512
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512
rootpw fedora

Jason Kohles, RHCA RHCDS RHCE
email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire